Tropical Hot Toddy
The secret to making the best hot toddy is simple… just tinker with the amount of puree and honey until it suits your taste buds. I’ve provided some guidelines in the recipe below. I think you’ll be surprised by how much an extra teaspoon of the puree or honey changes the flavor.
If you order a hot toddy at a bar, you’ll probably receive a whiskey drink. Any good whiskey will do. I’ve enjoyed hot toddies made with Bourbon, Rye, Jameson, and others.
If you prefer, you can even make your hot toddy with dark rum or brandy!
Hot toddies are reported to help reduce cold symptoms, although you really don’t want to overdo it on the whiskey. Your body needs to heal, and the simple combination of warm water, honey and citrus can work wonders.
NOTE: Alcohol doesn’t mix well with over-the-counter and prescription medications. So, no hot toddies for you if you’re taking medicine! Nurse yourself back to health with everything but the whiskey!
- ¾ cup water
- 1 ½ ounces whiskey
- 2 to 3 teaspoons honey, to taste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Da Vine Foods Passion Fruit Puree, to taste
- (optional, use 1½ oz. Da Vine Foods Lilikoi Cocktail Mix and reduce honey by 1 to 2 teaspoons)
- 1 lemon round
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional, for garnish)
- In a teapot or saucepan, bring the water to a simmer.
- Pour the hot water into a mug.
- Add the whiskey, honey, and Da Vine Foods Passion Fruit Puree.
- Stir until the honey has disappeared into the hot water.
- Taste, and add 1 teaspoon honey for more sweetness, and/or 1 teaspoon more Da Vine Foods’ Passion Fruit Puree for more zing.
- Garnish with a lemon round and cinnamon stick (if using). Enjoy!