Brown Butter Cardamom Linzer Cookies with Passion Fruit Jelly
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Brown Butter
- 1 cup (100 g) Almond Flour
- 2 cups (250 g) All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp fresh ginger, grated
- Da Vine Foods Lilikoi Jelly for the filling
Time:Cook 10-12 Minutes
- Make the brown butter (follow the link under the ingredients section if needed). Allow brown butter to come to room temperature while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Add almond and all-purpose flours to a bowl with the baking powder, salt, and cardamom. Whisk to combine completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or use a hand mixer), add brown butter and sugar. Mix at medium speed until mixture looks light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add the whole egg and egg yolk and continue to mix until combined.
- Add vanilla and ginger and mix until just combined.
- Reduce speed and add flour mixture slowly (about ⅓ at a time). Make sure each addition is mixed completely before adding more.
- Once flour mixture is completely combined, bring contents together with your hands into a ball and place on a flat surface covered with plastic wrap. Press the ball into a flat disc, wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour. Alternatively, you can keep the dough in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Once you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 350° F and remove dough from fridge. Allow dough to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Lightly flour a clean flat surface, unwrap dough and lightly roll out until ⅛ inch thick. The dough may crack a little, so use your hands to bring dough back together as needed. Using a round cookie cutter and smaller shape cookie cutter (or find Linzer cookie cutters online), cut equal numbers of solid round cookies and rounds with shape cutouts. The solid round cookies will be the bottom of the sandwich and the rounds with cutouts will be the top.
- With a small spatula, gently place the cut dough onto a baking tray. Bring the remaining dough scraps back together in a ball and repeat Step 9 until almost all dough has been cut. If the dough feels too soft and unmanageable, place back in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Bake cookies for a total of 10-12 minutes, turning the tray at the 5-6 minute mark. Your cookies should be very lightly browned with the edges set. Once they are done, remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To complete cookies, add powdered sugar to a fine sieve and dust the rounds with cutouts. Then add a ½ tsp of Passion Fruit Jelly to each solid round and place the powdered sugar dusted rounds with cutouts on top of each one and enjoy!
Recipe & Photos by Mark & Angela @cooking_with_wine blog