Having watched the entire Downton Abbey series, I was very excited to see the movie come out last month. Imagine my excitement when my Baking from Scratch magazine(September/October 2019) came in the mail and it had a feature on the chef who did all the cooking for the show and the movie. They also included a feature on the history of the Bakewell Tart. The chef said that there was a Bakewell Tart in almost every episode on the the show and in the movie.
Traditionally, the Bakewell Tart is done with Raspberry Preserves. The recipe the magazine gave was using Plum Preserves. I just had to try it using our Lilikoi Jelly. I also changed out the almond liqueur in the glaze for Passion Fruit Puree to make the flavors complete.
We had friends over for dessert after the movie and they all loved this tart.
A classic dessert made into an island treat!
- 1/2 C Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 C Confectioners' Sugar
- 1 Tbl Lemon Zest
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 1 1/2 C Pastry Flour
- 3/4 C Passion Fruit Jelly
- 1/2 C Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1/2 C Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 T Almond Liqueur
- 1 1/4 C Almond Flour
- 2 Tbl All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 C Sliced Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Confectioners' Sugar
- 4 tsp Passion Fruit Puree
- Pie Crust
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add confectioner's sugar, zest, and salt, and beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Add egg yolk, and beat until combined, about 1 minute. Add flour in two additions, beating just until combined after each addition. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead 3 to 4 times. Shape dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- On a lightly floured surface roll the crust into an 11" circle, about 1/4 inch thick. Transfer to a 9 inch round tart pan, gently pressing into the bottom and up sides. Trim excess dough. Freeze until hard, about 10 minutes. Prick bottom of dough with a fork. Top with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of pan. Add pie weights.
- Bake until edges look dry, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Bake until crust is dry, about 10 minutes more. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spread Lilikoi Jelly into prepared tart crust. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until creamy, 3-4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in almond liqueur.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Spread filling onto preserves, and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake until golden and set, 45-50 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and drizzle with Passion Fruit glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Passion Fruit Glaze
- In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar and passion fruit puree until smooth. Use immediately.