Passion Fruit White Chocolate Mint Gelato
- 1 C Milk
- 1 C Cream
- ½ C Mint leaves
- 1 C Sugar
- ½ C Passion Fruit puree
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 4 oz Shaved white chocolate
- 5 Egg yolks
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- PREPARE THE CUSTARD BASE
- Add the milk, cream, mint, ⅓ cup of the sugar and salt in a saucepan and gently heat up on low, stirring frequently.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining ⅔ cup of sugar until smooth. Add vanilla and stir.
- When milk just begins to bubble, remove from heat and VERY SLOWLY strain (to remove the mint leaves and whisk into the egg mixture. If you do it too fast the eggs will curdle. Once combined return to heat over low to medium-low and gently stir until mixture has thickened slightly and coats the back of a spoon (approximately 3-7 min).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooled slightly, add the passion fruit puree and white chocolate shavings.
- MAKE THE GELATO (MACHINE METHOD)
- Pour into gelato maker and churn for 35-50 minutes until thick.
- Place in freezer overnight then enjoy!
- MAKE THE GELATO (HAND METHOD)
- Pour gelato mixture into a loaf pan and place in the freezer uncovered. Every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours, whisk the mixture to break up any ice crystals that have formed. Then whisk the mixture every hour for another 2 hours. You should begin to see the mixture thicken by this point.
- Allow gelato to freeze for another 3-4 hours or overnight before serving. Keep covered or in an airtight container thereafter.
Recipe & Photos by Mark & Angela @cooking_with_wine blog