Great as an appetizer or main dish
Last weekend we had a great Saturday afternoon at the beach. We went out with friends that were camping for the weekend. Since we were only there for the day we knew we had to be out before 7pm as the gates close at 7.
I decided to take something that was easy to transport that could be eaten with crackers or chips. At the grocery store they had a great price on some marlin. I bought a pound of the marlin along with some cilantro and a Serrano pepper. My plan was to make some ceviche.
I’m constantly telling people that you can trade the lilikoi products out (1 for 1) with lime or lemon recipes. This was my perfect opportunity to try it out with a recipe that was more of a main course dish instead of all the dessert recipes I have been doing.
As you know the acid from the lime or lemon juice is what is used to “cook” the fish in a ceviche recipe. Here is the recipe I came up with.
Passion Fruit (Lilikoi) Ceviche with Avocado
This is an easy versatile recipe that takes only a few minutes to prepare. Great as a side or main dish. Put some crackers on a platter and take to a party, picnic or beach day. You can use any type of seafood you like. I used marlin because it was on sale. Shrimp, scallops or any fish would work easily in this recipe.
- 1 lb white mild fish cubed into small pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup passion fruit puree (lilikoi wai)
- 2 Tbl chopped cilantro
- 1 Serrano pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/4 of a purple onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado chopped into small pieces
- 1 Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Chips, crackers or fried wontons
- Start by putting the lilikoi puree, lime juice and the chopped Serrano pepper in a small bowl. In a medium sized bowl put your chopped fish. Cover with the juice and pepper mixture. Be sure to coat all the pieces of fish. Cover and put in fridge for 20 minutes or longer.
- Add all the other ingredients just before you are ready to serve. Serve in a bowl with chips or crackers around the dish.
For some added spiciness you can drizzle our Lilikoi Chili Pepper Sauce over the ceviche. Makes a nice twist to the original.
I put this dish out for everyone to try at the beach. It was literally gone in 5 minutes. I guess that speaks for itself.
Don’t forget to check out our great monthly special on Lilikoi Coconut Syrup.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!