With the Thanksgiving Holiday fast approaching, I decided it was time to start some dessert recipes. This month’s recipe uses our Hawaiian Passion Fruit puree called Just the Juice, and our Lilikoi Coconut Butter. I made the sponge cake from scratch, but you could just as easily make it from a box sponge cake to make things even quicker. You may want to even try different flavors of sponge cake. I think a spice cake would be a great alternative.
Lilikoi Sponge Cake Roll
With the Thanksgiving Holiday fast approaching, I decided it was time to start some dessert recipes. I made the sponge cake from scratch, but you could just as easily make it from a box sponge cake to make things even quicker.
- 1 Jelly roll pan
- 1 Parchment Paper
- 1 Butter
- 1 Dish towel
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Lilikoi Puree, Just the Juice
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 6 oz Cream Cheese
- 6 Tbl Lilikoi Coconut Butter
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- Start by preheating your oven on 375
- Butter your jelly roll pan and place the parchment paper on it. Butter the parchment paper too.
- Blend the 3 eggs until they are a nice even yellow color and start to thicken. Blend in the sugar, lilikoi puree, and vanilla.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Pour the batter onto the buttered parchment paper and spread evenly. Pick the pan up about 2″ off the counter and drop it a few times to get rid of any bubbles in the batter.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. The sides should start to pull away and turn brown when done.
- When it is done, remove it from the oven. Spread a dish towel out on the counter and flip the cake onto the dish towel. Remove the parchment paper from the bottom.
- Starting at one end, roll the dish towel and cake up together. The dish towel will be inside the roll as well as outside of it. Fold the ends over and put the cake in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours. Rolling will give the cake a memory so when you fill it and reroll it up it won’t crack.
- While the cake is chilling, mix together the filling. Mix the cream cheese, lilikoi coconut butter and the powdered sugar together. Put filling in the fridge until the cake is completely chilled.
- Once the cake is chilled pull it out of the fridge and gently unroll it. Pour the filling onto the cake and spread it out evenly. Once the filling is spread, carefully and slowly roll the cake up. This time be sure the dish towel is not included in the roll. Once rolled up, transfer the roll to a serving platter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. Cake leftovers should be stored in the fridge.
Adding orange or red food coloring to the filing for a seasonal contrast in color.
Use a spice cake recipe or other flavor for a different variety.
Bake the cake in a regular 9×12 pan and frost with the filling