A lot of you are thinking DUCK, I can’t roast a duck. Well it’s not as hard as you would think. With a few simple steps you will be on your way to a wonderful crispy roast duck with an amazing sauce that will amaze all of your guests.
For this recipe I went to Costco and found a 5 pound duck in the freezer section. Since I live on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, I don’t have a lot of choices. So, Costco it was.
We invited another family over for dinner along with their 3 daughters. Our menu consisted of Crispy Roast Duck with Passion Fruit Sauce, Roasted Green Beans with Lilikoi Chili Pepper Sauce drizzle and Wild Rice. For Dessert I served a Passion Fruit Tart (recipe coming in a post soon).
When all was said and done everyone ranted and raved about the passion fruit sauce on the duck. Now I’m sure this Passion Fruit Sauce recipe would be great on chicken too but, where is the fun in that.
Below is the recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Crispy Roast Duck with Passion Fruit Sauce
- 5 pound duck (frozen)
- 2 1/2 oz Irish whiskey
- 2 Star Anise
- 1/3 oz Treacle, Black (light molasses)
- 3 1/3 oz Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Passion Fruit Puree
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Roast a 5 pound duck for 4 hours, and then blast it at high heat for a short time.
- Score the skin with a diamond pattern, cut off excess fat, and poke it all over. You are cutting into the skin only, not the meat. Diamonds should be about 1 ½ inches wide.
- Salt and truss
- Roast at 300 degrees for 1 hour, breast-side up
- Poke, flip, roast for 1 hour, breast-side down
- Poke, flip, roast for 1 hour, breast-side up
- Poke, flip, roast for 1 hour, breast side down
- Poke, flip, blast at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, breast-side up
- Finish at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes
- Rest, carve & serve
- A thermometer should read 165 degrees when duck is done
Prepare Passion Fruit Sauce
- Put juice in a small saucepan. Add whiskey and star anise
- Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. If whisk flambés allow it to burn off the alcohol
- Add maple syrup and black treacle and bring to a boil. Remove from heat
- Reheat sauce when ready to serve
Don’t forget to check out our Holiday Special for extra savings on all of your passion fruit (lilikoi) products. Have a wonderful Holiday season!